Stem Cell Therapy in Treating Osteoarthritis
These days, there are new advances and groundbreaking innovations in medicines that gives people suffering from osteoarthritis more reason to hope. NSI Stem Cell in Florida is offering a new approach to treating Osteoarthritis and that is through stem cell therapy.*
These stem cell treatments for osteoarthritis are being studied for their effectiveness in helping people deal with the complications for the disease.* These procedures can help people who do not respond to conventional drug treatments for osteoarthritis.* This is also helpful in decreasing their dependence on medications.*
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Osteoarthritis Stem Cell Therapy
What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease. This is the most common type of arthritis. It is a result of the deterioration of a cartilage in the joints. Cartilage is a firm and rubbery material that cushions and protects the bone ends in normal joints. Its main function is to lessen the friction in the joints and to act as a cushion.
However, in time the cartilage is prone to wear and tear in some areas. It will gradually lose its ability to act as the body’s shock absorber. Once the cartilage wears away, ligaments and tendons stretch and this results to pain. In advances cases, the cartilage is so thin that the bones would rub with each other upon movement and this would lead to more loss of mobility and increased pain. Basically, osteoarthritis is a common issue in middle-aged and also older people. This type of bone disorder often affects the hands and also the weight bearing joints such as the shoulders, hips, knees, and feet. However, this can affect any joint in the body.
How do stem cells help in Osteoarthritis?
A lot of the osteoarthritis complications are associated with the cartilage deterioration, which acts as a cushion between your joints. This is a firm yet slippery tissue that allows the joints to move nearly frictionless. However, in osteoarthritis, the cartilage becomes rough. Ultimately, once the cartilage completely wears down, then there is no longer a barrier between the bones to prevent them from rubbing each other during movement.
Basically, the stem cell therapy is designed to target these problem areas in the effort to create a new cartilage in the joints.* Stem cells are unprocessed and it has the ability to develop into a cartilage. *The objective of this regenerative therapy is to inject the stem cells in to the affected joints to rebuild or recreate cartilage. Stem cells are also a natural inflammatory agent which can assist with the swelling and pain of the affected area.*
What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis can can be relieved by stem cell therapy?
The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary from mild to severe and these are the following complications or symptoms that can be alleviated with the help of stem cell therapy.*
- Pain: The pain is characterized as a sharp or burning sensation. Though for some people, the pain is intermitted and comes and goes. However, constant pain or pain while sleeping is an indication that the arthritis is getting worse.
- Cracking and Creaking: The joints joints may make cracking and creaking sounds. This creaking may also happen in a normal joint but you will know something is wrong if it also comes with pain.
- Muscle Weakness: There is weakness in the muscles surrounding the joints. This is common on knee arthritis.
- Stiffness: Once you have arthritis, you will find out that mornings can be hard. This is the time where the joints may feel creaky and stiff for a short time until you start moving. Stiffness can occur after sitting.
- Joints deformation: The joints can begin to look like they are deformed especially if the arthritis worsens.
- Swelling: This can occur in the joints which make them feel sore and tender.
- Decreased range of motion and eventually loss of use of the joint: Once the arthritis becomes worse, there may be reduced mobility of the joint where you may not be able to completely bend, extend or flex your joints and then ultimately lose joint movement.
What are stem cells?
Stem cells are un-calibrated cells in the human body is also known as the “shape shifters.” Stem cells have the ability to transform into different kinds of cells like muscle, tissue and even cartilage. This is the reason why stem cells are the focus of the regenerative medicine. Basically, since stem cells can become any muscle cartilage, bone and other kinds of cells in the body, they have the potential to treat different kinds of diseases like Osteoarthritis and more.*
What is a stem cell therapy?
Stem cell therapy is a regenerative approach which introduces new adult stem cells into impaired tissue to treat the injury or disease*. There are a lot of studies where researchers believe that it has the potential to alter the field of medicine and how we relieve suffering. The stem cell’s ability to repair, restore and rebuild with different gradations and offers a huge potential for new tissues to replace damaged tissues in the body with less chance of rejection and side effects.*
What are the different types of stem cells?
Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center offers stem cell therapy using only adult stem cells. But it is best to find out the different types of stem cells.
- Adult Stem Cells: These are stem cells that are harvested from the adult human body. The use of adult stem cells in both research and therapy are not as debated as the embryonic stem cells since this does not require the destruction of an embryo. Furthermore, most therapies that use stem cells obtain these from the patient’s own blood, fat and bon marrow which decreases the risk of rejection. Because of this, studies about stem cell research are more funded by the US government than the rest. For these reasons, Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center only uses adult stem cells.
- Embryonic Stem Cells: These are the stem cells that are extracted from embryos. These cells need certain indicators to change to desired cell type. However, if they are simply injected directly to the body, they will develop into different kinds of cells which could result to lumps or tumor due to the abnormal pluripotent cell development which is a teratoma. These potential tumor growth and risk of rejection are two of the obstacles faced by embryonic stem cell. This is why we do not use embryonic stem cells for our studies and therapies.
- Fetal Stem Cells: These stem cells derived from aborted fetuses. Basically, stem cells extracted from fetal cells are much more developed compared to the embryonic stem cells and they are more specialized which makes the options more restricted. But they can still be developed to different kinds of cells in the body. However, we do not use stem cells extracted from fetus for our therapies and studies.
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) – These are stem cells that are harvested from certain areas of the human body. iPSCs are engineered from fully specialized cells like skin cells. This means they are limited to only differentiating to only skin cells making them a much more limited option. However, scientist encourage these cells to act like embryonic cells and carry the ability to develop to different kinds of cell in the body. But this is a multifaceted method that has only recently been established. It is still the focus of different ongoing research about its effectivity. Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center does not use induced pluripotent stem cells for our studies and therapies.
Why use stem cells derived from adipose or fat tissue?
Adipose or fat tissue comprises a condensed amount of cells called mesenchymal stem cells. These cells are capable of duplication or becoming distinctive forms of cells in the body just like bone, cartilage, muscle neurons, tendons and more. The benefit of using mesenchymal stem cells is that it carries one of the stem cell source in the body. It is also quite easy to extract the cells since you would only need a mini liposuction procedure.
Basically, stem cells derived from the sdipose derived have a much higher immunomodulatory capacity compared to those of bone marrow derived stem cells. This will highly benefit patients suffering from auto-immune conditions. Adipose stem cell therapy is autologous which means that they are taken from the patient’s own body. There are different studies have been done exhibiting the safety and effectiveness of autologous stem cell therapy over the years.
Why does NSI Stem Cell offer registered clinical studies via The National Institutes of Health?
There are a limited available drugs that treats the disease particularly in the case of most degenerative problems. Only small number of drugs are available and most of these can only amend the symptoms. However, prolonged use of certain drugs poses risk of adverse side effects. Furthermore, most of these drugs do not treat the disease itself nor repair the damage.
Our goal at NSI Stem is to provide regenerative medical practices that deals with these vital concerns. The registered clinical studies we are running are made to give us with a huge amount of thoroughly gathered facts and figures that allows us to better understand the clinical benefit of patients suffering from certain diseases and treated with stem cells.
What technology and innovations does Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center offer to make stem cell therapies more effective?
- Board Certified U.S. Doctors
- Treatment and management conducted in accredited surgical centers
- Lab processing procedures established and developed by our PhD neuroscientist
- Multiple Activation Methods to guarantee that all patients have therapeutic doses of their stem cells
- The modern targeted administration procedures to administer stem cells to regions where stem cells are required most just like the the brain, bladder or spine.
How are the stem cells administered?
Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center is now offering prospective techniques to target the conditions and disease associated complications directly. These medical managements involve of different ways to administer the highest volume of activated stem cells to the areas that patients need them most and in this case the joints area. When Osteoarthritis patients are treated through Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center, there are two ways that these stem cells can be directed to the injured area:
- Full body IV: The stem cells are directed into the vein for a systemic infusion of the stem cells
- Intra-articular joint injections: An ultrasound is used to help guide the intra-articular joint injections to make sure that the targeting is accurate and the stem cells are injected directly to the affected joint.
How could stem cells help in Osteoarthritis?
Presently, the treatment plan for osteoarthritis involve exercise, weight control, rest and joint care, and usually joint replacement surgery. Certain prescribed medications can range from Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Acetaminophen and pain medicine.
Despite bringing temporary improvement, these drugs do not cater to the main issue of the joint damage*. Moreover, complete joint replacement surgery is a very invasive therapy, which a lot of people are hesitant about.*
Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center is currently studying the effect of using adult mesenchymal stem cell therapy on patients who are diagnosed with Osteoarthritis*. Since Osteoarthritis is caused by the destruction of the joint’s cartilage, we believe that by directly injecting the stem cell into the joint, the body may be able to differentiate these cells into cartilage cells and result in redeveloped joint cartilage.*
What can I expect after my stem cell therapy?
There will be slight discomfort in the abdominal area with soreness after the procedure and bruising and this may last anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks. There will also be a bit of tenderness at the joint because of the intra-articular joint injection. This soreness may last anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. This is why we recommend our patients relax and receive as much rest as they can to allow their stem cells to heal their body.
How long would it take to see improvement after the stem cell therapy?
It is important to take note that every patient who receives any sort of medical procedure will have different reactions to the treatment. However, patients who have received stem cell therapy through Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center often see the complete recovery or the results can be felt to a few months later.
How long does the stem cell treatment take?
Based on the severity of the case, a patient’s visit for stem cell treatment last for only 3 days. Day 1 will be a new patient orientation and then followed by a pre-op conference with the attending physician. On day 2, the patients will start their stem cell treatment which will last approximately 4-5 hours in length for osteoarthritis. After the procedure, they can go home and they will then return back to the facility on the third day for a post-op consultation. Stem cell therapy is a minimally invasive one-day procedure so patients are back in their home after each procedure.
Will I need to go back regularly for follow-ups?
Patients will only need to visit our facility only once for their treatment. And, this visit only lasts for 3 days. As soon as their treatment are complete, then patients will return home where our staff will follow-up with them on a regular basis for our studies. Since the visit lasts only 3 days, patients travel to Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center from all areas of the world to receive the premier level of stem cell therapy obtainable. They do not need to return regularly for follow-ups after the post-op consultation.
What type of complications observed in patients?
Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center has provided access to stem cell therapy for over 1,000 patients, being the leading stem cell center of excellence. Soreness and minimal bruising s are the only complications we have observed and this is mainly because of the mini-liposuction procedure conducted to extract the stem cells. This complication will last anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks.
Can this sort of stem cell therapy cause cancer?
Adult Mesenchymal stem cells are not known to cause cancer or any tumor growth. Only embryonic cells have been reported to cause cancerous tumors known as teratomas. But there is no need to worry about this since Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center only uses adult mesenchymal stem cells for both studies and therapies.
How will I know if I am a candidate for stem cell therapy?
Stem Cell of Tampa Bay Therapy Center follows a strict protocol to find out whether each and every patient is a good candidate for stem cell therapy or not. Each patient will go through a complete medical history assessment to establish their application before being permitted for therapy. Offering an access to safe and effective stem cell therapy is our unconditional objective; thus, candidacy is established by keeping these two benchmarks in mind.
How much does stem cell treatment cost?
The treatment cost varies on each case. To find out about the treatment costs for osteoarthritis, then please call our customer support.
Is it possible to repeat the stem cell therapy?
Yes, it is possible to repeat a stem cell therapy. There are studies that imply the strong likelihood of a snowballing result from multiple stem cell therapies a patient obtained for their medical condition. But it is only through the help of long-term studies where will have a better understand this in detail.
Is it okay to use stem cell therapy with other forms of treatments?
Currently, there is no known facts about the efficacy or safety of using stem cell therapy with other treatments since it would be hard to establish the true effects of the stem cell therapy. But, a combination therapy may be efficient for osteoarthritis and it is likely that this will be studied in the future.
What makes NSI Stem Cell the top stem cell clinic in the world is demonstrated in 5 key areas:
1. Highly trained and experienced, board-certified doctors and team members who have performed stem cell procedures on thousands of patients with incredible results.
2. Cutting edge procedures utilizing all that regenerative medicine has to offer for many chronic degenerative conditions.
3. Leading scientific researchers who follow the advanced guidelines to maximize the healing potential of your stem cells and to maintain compliance and ethics
4. Use of only the most potent and viable resource of living, viable stem cells and harvested on the same day. No vial that you can purchase will contain living stem cells. If there is no harvest then there are no stem cells.
5. Post-operative guidance for supporting stem-cell growth including rehabilitation, diet and supplement protocols. NSI is a full-service healthcare center focused on patient outcomes. Stem cell therapy is only one tool used to help improve patients’ lives.
Patients have raved about their experience at NSI Stem Cell Clinics testifying that it was their unique cutting-edge procedures that helped them experience a breakthrough when nothing else worked.
If you want to learn more about NSI Stem Cell Clinics, you can set up a complimentary consultation today to see if you are a candidate. You can contact the National Stem Cell Institute at (877) 278-3623.
* Disclaimer: Individual patient results may vary. As each patient’s problem is different, each treatment must be tailored around your specific needs.